How to Apply
Potential SFS applicants are strongly advised to contact Professor Burd well in advance of their intended application date. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and attach your current resume and unofficial transcripts for all college-level courses. Professor Burd will review your materials and schedule a follow-up meeting if needed. The review will evaluate your eligibility, competitiveness, and recommend actions you can take before applying to improve your competitiveness.
Master's Degree Co-ApplicationSFS applicants must be admitted to the UNM MS in Information Systems and Assurance, Master of Accounting, MS in Computer Science, or MS in Computer Engineering programs. Students may apply simultaneously for Master's program admission and for the SFS program. But the application processes are separate and SFS scholarship awards will not be made until after an applicant has been admitted to one of the programs. Each eligible Master's program has its own application deadlines and admission requirements.
SFS Application Deadlines
SFS applications are awarded for study starting in either the Fall or Spring semesters. Application open/close dates for each semester are as follows:
Fall semester application window:
- No earlier that January 1.
- No later than May 15.
Spring semester application window:
- No earlier than June 1.
- No later than September 30.
For best consideration, submit your application during the first two months of the application window.
A complete application for the SFS program consists of the following items:
- Transcripts from all colleges attended (unofficial transcripts are acceptable though official transcripts may be required if the candidate is selected as a semifinalist or finalist)
- Banner ID number (only required for students who have or are currently attending UNM)
- A 1-2 page statement of interest (may be included in email message with other application materials attached)
- Current resume
- List of three academic or professional references with complete contact information
- Copy of social security card **
- Proof of United States citizenship or lawful permanent residency (Copy of passport, copy of permanent resident alien card I-551, or birth certificate) **
Transcripts, Banner ID number, statement of interest, resume, and list of references must be submitted by email to email@example.com.
** Deliver your social security card copy and proof of U.S. citizenship documents by one of the following methods:
- In person to the Anderson receptionist (MCM 3037)
- Via FAX (505-277-7108, Attn: Stephen Burd)
- Via US mail to:
Anderson School of Management
University of New Mexico, 87131